citizenship & naturalization services
Our Refugee Resettlement Department offers citizenship and naturalization services. Those who may qualify include:
- Individuals who currently have a green card and have been in the United States for 5 years or more
- Individuals who currently have a green card who married a United States citizen and have been in the United States for 3 years or more
A Reason to Celebrate!
Established in October 2011, the Citizenship and Naturalization program assists lawful permanent residents (green card holders) in obtaining U.S. citizenship. Becoming a U.S. citizen can be a long and difficult process for many people, but also one of the most meaningful experiences in their life in the U.S. All applicants work extremely hard to pass the citizenship test, which includes knowledge of U.S. history and civics, and the ability to speak, read, and write basic English.
On April 30, more than 70 people attended our Naturalization Party to celebrate 30 of our newest United States citizens representing five countries – Mexico, Burma, Philippines, Peru, and Belarus. Much of the delicious food was brought in by the clients and featured meals that are popular in their home countries. Guests also played Citizenship Bingo, putting their U.S. history and civics knowledge to the test once again.
Since the program's inception, 140 people from 15 different countries have become United States citizens with our help. In total, Kate Clark, JFS’s Immigration Attorney, has submitted 230 citizenship applications and 160 people have been enrolled in citizenship classes taught by Kristy Coleman. Eighty clients naturalized in 2012 and, so far, 50 people have received their citizenship in 2013.
Learn More About...
Benefits of Becoming a Citizen
How JFS Can Help
What are the Benefits of Becoming a Citizen?
Back to Top>>
- Protecting your family from possible deportation
- The right to vote
- The ability to bring other family members to the U.S.
- Traveling with a U.S passport.
How We Can Help You Become a Citizen:
- We provide naturalization services to people of all faiths
- For $70, we will complete and send the N-400 (application for Citizenship) or N-600 (application for Citizen Certification)
- We provide classes to prepare for the USCIS Citizenship Interview
- We provide classes and information for the Civics, English, and Writing Tests
For more information about filing an application, contact Kate Clark, Immigration Attorney, at (858) 637-3359 or email@example.com.
Back to Top>>
Applicants are tested on their knowledge of U.S. history and civics and their ability to read, write, and speak in English. We offer low-cost classes in preparation for the Citizenship Test and Interview for all English levels. Fees are $20 if you apply with JFS, $25 if you are only taking classes. Fees include all study materials and access to all JFS classes.
You will receive:
- Citizenship Education Workbook
- Civics Flashcards
- Audio CD of the 100 questions
- One-on-One Mock Interview
- Access to all classes offered by JFS
- Full course (6 weeks): every Tuesday and Thursday from 5:00–7:00pm
- One-day class: first Saturday of every month from 9:00am–1:00pm
This is a best option for the high-level English speakers looking for an overview of the Naturalization process and 100 civics questions
For more information about citizenship classes, contact Kristy Coleman, Citizenship Instructor, at (858) 637-3367 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to Top>>
Send an email>>
Turk Family Center
8804 Balboa Ave.
San Diego, CA 92123
All communication is strictly confidential.