LADIES LEADERSHIP PROGRAM
The Ladies Leadership Program is a weekly afterschool educational program that supports young women at Kearny High School EID who want to learn and work in the male-dominated fields of architecture, engineering and construction. The program serves underrepresented, low-income, aspiring first-generation college students and uses a service learning and leadership development curriculum that empowers young women to fulfill their leadership potential and prepare to navigate the challenges of achieving and sustaining careers in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields.
"The most important thing that I learned from LLP is that
it doesn’t matter if you’re a girl, you can do it!"
The Ladies Leadership Program aims to transform each underserved young woman who participates in this year-long program by developing and improving her academic knowledge, life skills, resiliency, self-esteem, self-efficacy, positive peer relationships, and leadership abilities so that she will be successful in her chosen STEM major and career, in her life, and in her community.
"My favorite part of LLP is the fact that we all became friends and have each other’s back because we all bonded throughout the year together."
Program Achievements during the 2016-2017 School Year
- Cumulatively volunteered up to 800 hours, earning the Presidential Gold Service Award.
- Organized and facilitated a hands-on workshop for a combination of 80 elementary and middle school girls to introduce them to the engineering and architecture fields.
- Participated in college readiness workshops with local nonprofit, Explore Solutions, an organization that helps provide youth from underprivileged background with the academic exploration, understanding, and pursuit of a post-high school plan as first generation college students.
- Attended multiple conferences which promoted awareness in gender inequality and supported female confidence.
- Increased awareness through community service learning activities with Jewish Family Service’s food preparation and distribution.
"I really loved the event we held to encourage more girls to enter STEM fields because it was the fruit of months of dedication. We were stressed but filled with passion for this one day we worked so hard to plan."
Send an email>>
JOAN & IRWIN JACOBS CAMPUS
Turk Family Center
8804 Balboa Ave.
San Diego, CA 92123
All communication is strictly confidential.