Being a Bar or Bat Mitzvah is a special time. It’s a time for you to accept your new responsibilities as an adult. It’s a time for you to embrace Tikkun Olam, and make a difference in the world around you. And it’s a time for you to choose a meaningful and enjoyable Mitzvah Project.
As a premier human care service agency in San Diego, we’re a natural fit. We can tailor any of our volunteer opportunities to meet your interests and passions.
Here are just a few of the projects we offer:
- Conducting a drive for personal hygiene items, backpacks, and school supplies.
- Leading an arts and crafts project for children of military families during a monthly food distribution at Camp Pendleton or Murphy Canyon.
- Conducting a food drive for the Hand Up Youth Food Pantry.
- Shopping for used household items for newly arriving refugee families.
- Bringing Shabbat services for older adults at residential care facilities.
- Contributing to holiday programs through donations or volunteering—Passover Packages, Thanksgiving Packages, Embrace-A-Family.
- Volunteering in the annual United Run for the Hungry 5K/10K on Thanksgiving morning.
- Creating welcome baskets for newly-arrived refugee families.
- Ride-a-long on an On the Go Shuttle and assist older adults on their way to Shabbat services.
- Bring companionship to an isolated individual.
- And much more!
Helping others is a beautiful feeling and an important Jewish value. Let us help you find the perfect Mitzvah Project, and we’ll ensure it’s both meaningful and rewarding.
For more information, contact Melinda Wilkes at (858) 637-3050 or email@example.com.
Exciting News! JFS is the new home to Mitzvah Makers, your go-to place for meaningful projects for b'nai mitzvah youth! Mitzvah Makers helps youth with project proposal to completion so their introduction to Jewish adulthood is based on tzedakah and tikkun olam.
“One of the things we really wanted to accomplish for our son was to make his Bar Mitzvah year the start of a journey to learn what it means to be a responsible Jewish adult. It's easy during the Bar Mitzvah year to get lost in the details of planning the party and to put things like a project on the back burner. Through the help of the Mitzvah Makers we were able to make his community service project an integral part of this important milestone.”
Learning the value of tikkun olam and the importance of kehillah is vital to creating adults who stay engaged and continue on their journey of giving back to the community. We have many wonderful opportunities to share with your B’nai Mitzvah. Click here to get started today!