JFS is here for you during COVID-19. Every day, we help thousands of San Diegans access food, financial assistance, and other vital community resources as our city continues to be impacted by the pandemic. We serve people of all religions, ethnicities, genders, and backgrounds. If you have questions about how we can support you during these challenging times, please give us a call at (858) 637-3210 or fill out the Contact Us form online.
Drive-Thru Food Distribution
Our no-touch drive-thru food distribution is open to all San Diegans in critical need of groceries during the COVID-19 pandemic. We are open Monday – Friday from 11:00am to 1:00pm at our Joan & Jacobs Campus (8804 Balboa Ave). No qualifications or pre-registration are required. Distribution bags come stocked with a variety of fresh produce, dried/canned goods, and other pantry staples (based on supplies). If you have questions, please call (858) 637-3210 or start the process online by clicking here.
**New Food Distribution location in Poway**
Starting on June 23, 2021, the distribution center in Poway will move to the Mickey Cafagna Community Center at 13094 Civic Center Drive. This will be open for individuals who are 60 and older. It will be open every Wednesday from noon to 1:00pm. To reserve your spot, please call (858) 637-3257.
In September 2020, we added a distribution center in Poway at 16315 Pomerado Road for individuals who are 60 and older. It is open every Wednesday from noon to 1:00pm. To reserve your spot, please call (858) 637-3257.
Get delicious, homemade meals delivered straight to your door. To minimize contact during the COVID-19 pandemic, individually-packaged frozen meals will be delivered once a week. Menu options can accommodate low-sodium, vegetarian, and kosher dietary restrictions. This service is for adults age 60+ and younger adults with disabilities that prevent them from leaving their homes. To learn more and order meals, please call (858) 637-3210 or start the process online by clicking here.
Safe Parking Program
Every night, we operate four Safe Parking Program lots across our community for individuals and families living out of their vehicles. The Safe Parking Program offers a safe place to sleep at night, hot meals, and a connection to supportive resources as participants work toward stable housing. To ask about lot availability and enroll, please call (858) 637-3373.
We are holding free virtual DACA renewal appointments during the COVID-19 pandemic. Get answers to all your questions and receive help filling out paperwork from our team of immigration experts. To make an appointment, please contact [email protected].
Emergency Response Fund
For San Diegans experiencing financial hardships during the COVID-19 pandemic, our Emergency Response Fund can provide direct assistance with rent/mortgage payments, transportation, and other vital expenses. For more information, please call (858) 637-3210 or start the process online by clicking here.
Thanks to a partnership with the Jacobs & Cushman San Diego Food Bank and other community donors, we provide a weekly diaper distribution for families in our community. During COVID-19, families can receive 75 free diapers a month for each child in their family that requires them. Diaper pickup is every Friday from 10:00am–1:00pm. To request diapers, please call (858) 637-3027 or email [email protected] with your name, phone number, and diaper sizes that you need.
We are constantly adapting our programs and reviewing alternative strategies to continue serving you during the current public health crisis.
Programs with no change in service:
Programs operating with modified services:
- Care/Case Management – Appointments taking place by telephone.
- Bikkur Holim (Friendly Visitor) – Volunteers connecting with their matches by telephone or video call.
- Breaking Down Barriers – All in-person events and presentations are canceled. Meetings, events, and presentations are taking place virtually.
- Coachella Valley – Services available by telephone.
- Corner Market and Emergency Food Assistance – For those in crisis, distributing pre-bagged food during designated drive-thru hours from 11:00am – 1:00pm on weekdays at the Joan & Irwin Jacobs Family Campus. See Drive-Thru Distribution above, under Find Help.
- Counseling – Appointments with current clients taking place by telephone
- Hand Up Community Food Distributions:
- Ohr Shalom – Taking place with modified no-touch distribution.
- San Diego Food Bank’s Senior Food Boxes at College Avenue Center taking place with modified no-touch distribution.
- Camp Pendleton Neighborhood Exchange
- Chabad Downtown
- Hand Up Loans/CARS – Services for current clients taking place by telephone.
- Immigration Services – All critical time-sensitive appointments taking place by telephone.
- Patient Advocacy – Services taking place by telephone.
- Positive Parenting Program – Online parenting support available in English and Spanish and individual sessions offered by telephone and video.
- Refugee Resettlement – Appointments taking place by telephone.
Programs suspended until further notice:
We will update this page as additional actions are implemented.
Additional Community Resources
New Protections Against Eviction
Do you or someone in your life owe unpaid rent? Have an eviction notice? Worry about losing your home? Get direct assistance at HousingHelpSD.org, a one-stop resource with everything you need to protect yourself, your family, and your home.
The State of California recently extended COVID-related eviction protections through June 30, 2021 and increased financial assistance for property owners who have yet to receive unpaid rent. Similar emergency actions have also been taken by the City of San Diego. If you are experiencing housing insecurity, please contact the California State Government Website.
Get Support From Optum San Diego Help Lines
If you are experiencing anxiety or stress related to COVID-19, there’s help. The free Optum Emotional Support Help Line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at 1-866-342-6892.
For crisis intervention, suicide prevention, or referrals for mental health resources and/or alcohol and drug needs, call the free 24/7 Optum San Diego Access and Crisis Line at 888-724-7240 or 619-641-6992 TTY.
More Information on COVID-19
For the latest information on how you can protect yourself and your loved ones from COVID-19, here are some resources: